Monday, June 4, 2012

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Heartfelt and captivating, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is a great book for anyone who is likes history or wants to learn about the civil rights movement. The book is set in the summer of 1964 where Lilly Owens sets off on her own, away from her abusive father, in search of the truth. Did her mother really want her? Along the way she meets August Boatwright, a head strong black woman who has a lot of insight on life. The kind woman invites Lilly into her house, where she learns beekeeping, religion, as well as the meaning of family. As if Lilly’s problems weren’t enough, the racial tension in the book opens her eyes and the readers to the way people were treated during the civil rights era. This book focuses not only on the problems of an individual person but also on the worldly problems that took place during this time.
~Mary (period 2)

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I have liked most of the few books I've read set in a historical period, like the Help. -Rachana B. (per. 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much! It may be a little girly, but it's a huge coming-of-age story and I like how it focuses on the real world problems that were going on at the time. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to read something a little different.
    - Sarika P. (Per. 3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book when i read it a while back. It kept me interested and I didn't want to put it down. I liked the fact that the book had a strong message behind it and was meaningful. That is the reason i would also recommend it to all. -Iman D.(Per. 3)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I heard of this book, and I'm surprised I haven't read it yet because I tend to read a lot of girly books. I would definitely read this book because from all of the "chick-lits" I've read, they're all the same; I want to read a chick-lit that has a unique and different plot, and this seems like the perfect book.
    ~Dana P. (period 4)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody loves this book and I am definitely going to read it over the summer! It seems so interesting and a fun book to read! I love books written in a much older time period. -- Sreya A Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I never read the book myself, people from other classes told me the book was good. What makes me more interested is that this is about the civil rights movement, something I always wanted to learn more about.

    -Kevin Gunia, Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks really interesting! I remember they came out with a movie of this a couple of years ago, and I've always wanted to read the book, I've just never found the time to pick up a copy. It indeed does look very different, and I want to learn more about the civil rights movement, so maybe I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this book very interesting. The book conveyed a meaningful message that could help everyone. The plot of the story was very different from what I usually read, but even then, I enjoyed the book a lot.
    -Ridhima S.
    period 3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds very exciting, I heard the raving news about the book when the movie was released but never got around to read it. I'm interested in books that have a storyline during the civil rights era because I believe that they could help me have a better understanding to what life was like back then.
    Alex Coward, Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete