Sunday, June 3, 2012

Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof

This school year I read Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof.  Eight Men Out is a non-fiction novel about the betting scandal during the 1919 World Series.  Asinof takes a fictional approach to this non-fiction story. Using his research he pieces together the scandal about the Chicago White Sox's decision to throw the 1919 World Series. He tells the story chronologically as it happened then, giving each real life person in the story definable character traits to allow the reader to feel an attachment to the story. Asinof does not spit facts back at the reader, he reveals the story in a way that is understandable and interesting to the reader.  His writing technique have molded this novel into one of the classic
sports books ever written. Eight Men Out provides perspective from many different viewpoints, encompassing everything that had to happen for the White Sox to throw the World Series. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading fiction stories, but would also have an interest in getting
factual knowledge out of what they are reading.

Matt Fein-Period 7/8

5 comments:

  1. I think that this would be a great book for any sports fan since this was a big deal for baseball, and the scandal brought the sport down during this time. I haven't seen the movie, but I wonder if the movie uses the same style as the book.-Matt D. Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely a major scandal at the time and it seems very interesting to read about. I would be very interested to read about this and how the White Sox almost pulled this off. It is funny because after this they did not win the World Series again until the 21st Century.
    -Matt B. (Period 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book absolutely seems like a book that I would enjoy reading. I researched the Black Sox Scandal for one of my history projects, and I would like to know more to the story. It's amazing what some amazing athletes would give up, just to make some money.
    -Adrian Bermudez (Period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about this scandal, but I don't know much facts about it. I would definitely check this book out. It's so sad when things like this happen in sports. This just ruins the beauty of the game
    -Minhyuk K. (Per. 4)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baseball tremendously, and this is one of the greatest tragedies in sports. The truth is Joe Jackson probably didn't even know anything about the scandal but was punished anyway. It's definitely very saddening as a baseball fan.
    Shravan Balaji Period 4

    ReplyDelete