Monday, June 11, 2012

Lord Of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien

The most Interesting book that I read this year was Lord Of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien. In this book, Tolkien sets the story in a medieval world known as Middle-Earth which is filled with a vast amount of mythical creatures some more dangerous than others.  The story surrounds a particularly peaceful race known as the Hobbits. They are notorious for their short stature and politeness. They live in a village called the Shire which is protected by natural barriers so they are isolated from the events of the rest of Middle-Earth. The main character in this story is a young hobbit named Frodo Baggins. He is one of the richer hobbit families in the Shire and therefore is more respected. One day a friend of his named Gandalf (old wizard) comes to the Shire and they find a dark secret about Frodo’s uncle and one of his valued possessions. It is an old ring which Frodo’s uncle found on one of his many adventures. As Gandalf and Frodo learn about the rings dark and dreadful history, they must find a way to destroy it which they will find rather difficult.  As the two companions journey across Middle-Earth, they encounter many interesting characters and must overcome perilous trials.
  After reading this book, I thought it was an interesting fantasy novel which captures an entire other world. I would recommend this book to anybody who has a long attention span and admires medieval fantasy novels as well as action and thriller novels. The one problem that I saw in this book was that characters would occasionally ramble on about certain aspects of the journey at times that I did not find interesting. Other than that flaw, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was an entertaining read as well as interesting. ~ Eric C. (per. 3)

  The Fellowship of the Ring, Being the First Part of the Lord of the Rings, is not for those with a short, medium, or even long attention span. It is for those few who have an iron will and an attention span that will outlast time and space. But for those who are still awake after the Thirty page prologue, it is an amazing book. J.R.R. Tolkien has created an amazing world, full of well developed characters and immersive settings. Even though he can sometimes go off on two page tangents about the fate of a horse, he mostly sticks to the plot, but even then, it takes a while to work through. A very important piece of advice to readers is not to be deterred by the beginning of the book. It seems slow, pointless, and in general a big waste of time. But this could not be further from the truth. this is where a majority of character development for the Hobbits is done. And seeing how the whole series is dedicated to the adventures of these Hobbits, it is paramount that we learn as much about them as we can. After the first few chapters, the action begins to slowly, but surely, build. As the danger of the situations increases, so too does the tension, mainly because we have spent so much time with them. learning about what they keep in their attics, how they interact with each other, and how they interact with the world around them. they are the epitome of well developed characters, and when they are in danger, the reader feels real distress (partly because after reading about them for Two-Hundred pages, it would be rather dissatisfying for them to be killed by a random squid).
    The main characters, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn, and Boromir, will not be discussed in great detail in this review, mainly because readers will get enough of them from reading The Fellowship of the Ring themselves. but an important thing to note is that all of these characters are very distinct, and any Lord of the Rings fan (which is most people who survive the first book) would be able to correctly pin a character to his quote, even with no context. This is what makes Tolkien's writing stand out above all others: the vividness in which he does everything. Developing characters, describing landscape, or discussing how to deal with the One Ring (for six solid pages). While it does take an ardent fan to finish the book, those who do will cherish it forever. The only complaint that can be made about Fellowship, and the whole series, is that there are only about five women in over six books. But other than that, it is a perfect book for anyone interested in the fantasy genera. ~Kyle S. (per. 3)

16 comments:

  1. Can this be related at all to Percy Jackson series? If it is I might give it a try because Lord of the Rings is an extremely well-known series, and Percy Jackson was a great fantasy series. This really looks like a great adventure story as well. -Matt D. (Pd 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was really confusing for me because the names of people and places were similar. But once i watched the movie it helped me a lot.
    Cody haws per.12

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my best friends has been trying to get me to read Lord of the Rings. I think I'll have to give it a try this summer. Isn't there a prequel called The Hobbit? --Monica Srivastava Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should read the series, although the descriptions are very long and at some points mundane, it is still called by some the king of fantasy and adventures. Also, yes there is a prequel to the series called The Hobbit.

      -Felix Chan Period 7/8

      Delete
  4. I have not read the series but I really enjoyed the movies. I hope I can read it over the summer.

    Jun Sun You (Period: 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read the series but I hear great things about it. Thanks for the summary, maybe I will check it out over the summer. ----Ryan Josephson Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually never read the Lord of the Rings series before (I was always a Harry Potter fan). I should try it though because it looks interesting and I've heard it was pretty good.

    -Kevin Gunia, Period 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely an interesting tale but the descriptions of the story take up a very large portion of the tale. It is completely possible to fall asleep while reading the series or to suddenly stop paying attention due to to a lack of excitement.

      -Felix Chan Period 7/8

      Delete
  7. This series is one of my all-time favorites!
    The characters in the movie, like Aragorn, Legolas, and Gandalf, are such exciting characters that make the audience want to know more about them and the series.
    I definitely recommend watching the movie, along with other books in the series, because the movie really grasps the audience's interest with great battle scenes and exciting images. Along with the Harry Potter series, this series is one of the best fantasy series for our generations, in my opinion, so if you have time, I strongly recommend you all to read the book and/or watch the movie! :)
    Jooho Lee Period 7/8.

    ReplyDelete
  8. movies and books like this are interrelated with many other books. The books of ancient times and battles of all times show that this series is a classic. Aragorn and other characters develop the book as a good story.
    Farzam Rahman Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book seems so intense. I've seen all the movies religiously and even though the movie may lack, it would be good to read to see what other interesting things happen. I would definitely been interested in reading this book.
    Tom Berzok Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  10. The movies that were made about these books were really good but really long. I know that the books are also very long and I tried reading one a few years back but gave up because it was very time consuming. I'm hoping to start reading the series again this summer.

    Chris Rimanic Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wanted to read this series. I started when I was in seventh grade, but I couldn't find the second book so I never finished it. My dad read them to my sister and I when we were younger as a bedtime story. I don't remember it much though. My dad has also made my watch all the videos. I liked them a lot and hope to read the books over the summer.
    Jennifer Hoffman~P.:4

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read this book. It's totally worth checking out and reading. It's fulled with action ans suspense.

    Ansuman Das per:3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've tried to read this book before but I couldn't get through to the end. The book is really long but very interesting, though interspersed with long, dry descriptions of the more mild parts of the Fellowship's journey. Still, it seems like it gets better, and I might try to read it gain this summer. Jake M., Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Jake, attempted to read this book out of great love for the films but couldn't complete it. It is a good book without a doubt but novels like the Hunger Games stole me away. Interestingly enough, I had started reading The Hobbit which is the presequel in the series and it is shorter and interesting to read because it is not yet a movie. I'm not yet ready to give up on it though, I WILL finish it one day.

    ReplyDelete