Monday, June 11, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

The threequel (?) to the Hunger Games and the last book in the trilogy, this book is an adventure in which Katniss and friends set out to overthrow the leader of Panem and all 13 districts, President Snow. While in District 13, they along with President Coin come up with a mischievous plan to take down Snow. Will their plan come to life or will it be destroyed early? I would recommend this book to anyone of any ages who loves adventure and suspense. This book is filled with tons of adventurous and suspenseful events, along with some gory deaths. If you like adventure or suspense, check this book out! ~ Suchir K.

Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins, is the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. In this spine-tingling and action-pact story, we follow a very mature and robust teenager Katniss, who must grow up fast and lead a war against the ‘Capitol’. This Capitol is the center of Katniss’ cruel government that regulates everything everyone in her society does and once a year forces 24 kids from her country, Panem, to fight to the death. Unfortunately, Katniss was not only made to do this once, but again the following year. Finally Katniss has had enough of her oppressive government and agrees to fight for the people she loves most. She becomes known as the ‘Mockingjay’ and not only leads her country into war with the Capitol, but becomes a symbol of hope for everyone who has lost it. Although this book started off a little slow, it really became suspenseful and full of surprises as it moved along. I would defiantly recommend anyone who already read the first two books to read this one, so they can see how this amazing series ends. Additionally, the intense action scenes and passionate love in this story makes it an ideal book for boys and girls to read.

Dylan Serra- Period 4                          

Being the final of an epic trilogy written by Suzanne Collins, this book concludes the story of Katniss Everdeen with an intense plot. After being rescued by rebels of District 13, Katniss is convinced to represent rebellion by becoming "The Mockingjay." She is reunited with her childhood companion, Gale and in the absence of her beloved Peeta, Gale tries to comfort her. Becoming torn between the two, Katniss requests the right to kill President Snow after his capture as well as many other things in return for being their "Mockingjay." This also included the rescue of Peeta. After his rescue, their reunion is less than pretty. What has the capitol done to Peeta? Nonetheless, he is put through training and is assigned to Katniss's team for an assault on the capitol. Will they succeed? And who's arms will Katniss wind up in? Gale's? or Peeta's? If you've read the previous two books of the trilogy, then I highly recommend that you finish it. If you haven't, then I would suggest reading the first two first. This book can be arguably the best and worst ending of the epic series. I encourage you to experience it yourself. (For sci-fi, adventure genre lovers). ~Frankie W. (Period 7/8)

22 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this series, especially this book. Though the ending did bother me, it didn't take away from the fact that the book as a whole was not too bad of a way to end the trilogy. I can't wait to see how Mockingjay will be adapted into movie form in the coming years.
    -Nick K. (Per. 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it seems really interesting, this summer i'm definitely reading this book. i'm really excited. i'm on the second book and i feel like i'm going to like mockingjay out of all of them -amanda l (pd 2)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems great as well as the rest of the series. I haven't read any of the series but I'm sure that it is phenomenal and a great read, it could be something I read over the summer definitely.
    - Matt D. (Pd 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you guys think of the fact that many people say Mockingjay was nowhere near as good as Catching Fire or Hunger Games? I disagree but I was wondering what other people think. -- Ryan Josephson Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but that's just because I don't like the ending of Mockingjay. I think that the best of the three has to be The Hunger Games. Which one if your favorite? --Monica Srivastava Period 7/8

      Delete
    2. I totally disagree with that statement. The third book was so good compared to the first two.
      -Suchir K (Period 7/8)

      Delete
  5. I think Mockingjay is not as great as Catching Fire and Hunger Games. Don't get me wrong, the book is still good but the other two have greater stories to them. Mockingjay, however, can drag on at certain points and I was bothered by the ending.
    - Matthew Sweet Per.7/8

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this book, and I did love it. I do agree however, that the begining was slow; it seemed that way with the whole series. Peeta's problem was tragic, and I couldn't put the book down because I had to find out what happened with him. The book was great!
    Becky Kowalski~Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw Hunger Games when it first came out in theaters, I absolutely loved it, and I'm ping to read the book. So many people who have read the whole series have mentioned that I should also read it, so since this seems like a great book, I think i'm going to read it.
    ~Dana P. (period 4)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems to be a good ending to a very good series. I haven't read any of the books, but I definitely intend to soon. Which book do you guys think was the best out of all of them? -- Amanda Evans Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! Mockingjay was amazing, but it was not as good as the other two. I did love the ending of this book the best, though. --- Sreya A Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely hated this book! The ending was terrible! I was cruising along reading the book and suddenly the ending hit and I literally threw the book across the room. I always get shudders when people read the end of the book.
    -Suchir K (period 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely loved this book, as it concluded the most intense trilogy made yet. It is really hard to follow up two very in depth books, especially with a concluding book. To me, I think Suzanne made the book as great as the others. Nick O. Per. 2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im interested in finding out all the books in this series because i keep hearing new ones, i was wondering if you could name them for me.
    Joshua Barkoff (Period 2)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Mockingjay wasn't as good as the other two, but it wasn't a bad book. There was great suspense and I could never seem to stop reading. I do get bugged about the ending, but that's a matter of personal opinion. -Phillip Park Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book seems as an amazing conclusion to this series. I wonder what why the book is title, Mockingjay, is it because this is all revolved around one?
    - Paul Lee Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds really good. I saw the movie but read none of the books, but now I definitley will read this book. I want to find out what happens to everyone and what's to come out of it.
    Josette (4)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book will be loved and hated. This was intense series, and the suspense was amazing. However, at times the plot was boring.
    Farzam Rahman period 3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked the book more thanthe hunget games. I dont think it was boring though.


    Zach Bloom- Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally loved this series, though this was my least favorite book of the series. I just really didn't like how there was so much action in the book, but Katniss participated in only some of it. I also wasn't much of a fan of the ending either. It just wasn't my idea of how the series should end.
    Jennifer Hoffman-Pd.:4

    ReplyDelete
  19. When everyone around me was going crazy about the release of the movie I decided that I was going to speed read the first book to find out what everyone was talking about. To make a long story short, the novel went beyond my expectations. I know that before reading this book I must read the second but from what I've heard Suzanne Collins has yet to disappoint her fans.
    Alex Coward, Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this book. Although I didn't like the ending (it was so sad) I thought it was extremely well written. Collins helped me feel like Katniss, what with all the confusion.
    -Lior Ben-Zvi Period 3

    ReplyDelete