Monday, June 4, 2012

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The book I chose was one I have read not too long ago this year. Graceling, by Kristin Cashore, is a very unique fantasy novel, with lots of well-rounded characters and an interesting plot. The main character, the independent heroin Katsa, is graced with the gift of killing. In this land, the graced are respected and considered lucky to be blessed with their gifts and each of their eyes being a different color. Because of this gift, the king uses Katsa as his personal secret weapon and executioner, and to inspire fear in his subjects. On one of her many missions assigned to her by the king, Katsa runs into Po, another graceling from a faraway foreign land. They end up running away together, traveling around the countries that surround Katsa’s home country. I would recommend this book to any reader who either loves fantasy, adventure, or both. This book is great for getting away from reality with its hooking plots and surprises. It is a very nice read, good for readers of many levels because it does not have too complicated vocabulary or plots, but enough so, along with its very realistic and connectable to characters, that more advanced readers would also enjoy it. ~Nicole H. (per. 3)

The book, Graceling, by Kristin Cashore is a fantasy genre based on the medieval age; where kings ruled the land and kingdoms fought each other with swords and shields. The main character is about a girl named Katsa, the niece of the king of the strongest kingdom in the lands. But back to the main character, Katsa, has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight. How? She’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an innate ability for a specific skill. Her innate ability is the ability of killing; or in other words an assassin. But she doesn’t know that her life is about to change when she first meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills and different colored eyes. As the days drag on, she never expects to become Po’s friend… Or the truth about her own Grace… Or about a very terrible secret that is hidden far away; a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone. I recommend this book to anyone with the love of fantasy (or at least interest in fantasy) and a not-sexist book.
-Paul Lee; Period 3

7 comments:

  1. Have you read the companion book? Fire? It explains a lot of interesting facts in Graceling, like the origin of Leck. -Rachana B. (per. 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read both Graceling and Fire. They were one of the best books I've read this year. If I had to choose between the two I would have to choose Graceling. -Kristen D. (per. 12)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the development of characters in this book. Graceling definetely had a lot more action than this book, but I feel like Fire elaborated more on the internal conflict than the action part.
    Priyanka Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds very interesting. I like fantasy so maybe I will check it out this summer! Thanks----Ryan Josephson Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this book! I read it earlier in the year but I haven't been able to get my hands on Fire yet. Isn't there a sequel now? I think it's called Bitterblue. I can't wait to read it!
      --Monica Srivastava Period 7/8

      Delete
  5. I heard really good things about this book and I have wanted to read this book. It sounds like a really interesting plot.
    Jamie G (Period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely loved this series. My favorite character hands down was Katsa, followed closely by Prince Po. I liked how she was always kickbutt, and never subjected to men. Po was just really hilarious. If you liked this book you should check out Fire and Bitterblue.
    Jennifer Hoffman~Pd.:4

    ReplyDelete