Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Batboy by Mike Lupica

Being able to be in the lights in Comerica Park is a humbling experience, even if you are just a batboy. Brian Dudley had an opportunity to have this experience and he jumped on it as fast as he could.  Ever since he was a little kid, his father took him to Tigers games in Comerica, and he had some great times. Unfortunately, those memories will have to last him a lifetime, as Brian's father left him and his mother years ago. Going back to actually work on the field he used to adore with his father brings him joy like no other. His happiness is even greater once he hears that his favorite player of all time, Hank Bishop, is coming out of retirement and will be playing for the Tigers once again. Brian is the happiest he has ever been, but his time at Comerica does not go exactly as expected. 
Mike Lupica always creates engaging characters and heartfelt stories behind them, and this book is no different. I really enjoyed his books Heat, as well as Travel Team. Anyone who has read those books, or just enjoys sports in general should definitely read this book. ~Alex W. (per. 3)

8 comments:

  1. I have read most of Mike Lupica's other books, and always loved them. This book seems to have an interesting plot, and I'm sure Mike Lupica's writing makes the plot come alive. I think writing about a bat boy is cool because many people must wonder what it is like to be them and be in the dugout at a professional game. I will definitely try to get this book to read because it really intrigues me.
    - Jordan G. Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice Alex! Mike Lupica almost always puts out great books. Heat and Travel Team are some of my favorite books as well. His stories are very realistic and entertaining.
    -Shravan Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic book. Looks like it is a slightly sad book, and those are my favorite. I can't imagine the type of sadness that Brian must have felt after his father leaving him. I bet this book has a bunch of heartfelt scenes.
    George Abdelmalek Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read almost all of Mike Lupica's sports books, and they are all amazing. He really knows how to create interesting and unique story plots, that always captures the reader's attention. I will have to check this book out sometime, and hopefully read it. It seems like a great and fun book to read about. - Adrian Bermudez (Period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't like sports books, but this one sounds like it has a really good plot and meaning to it!
    Kaitlyn Hill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved these sports stories, even different series by different authors. Since I was always a baseball fan, I was always able to relate to what was occurring in the story.

    -Kevin Gunia, Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds like a really cute story because it talks about sports which boys can relate too, but it's deeper than just sports. I like stories like that so maybe I can read this for my summer reading
    -Sarah McCaffrey, period 2

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story line was too predictable. I am not really a fan of Mike lupica books.

    Zachary Bloom-Period 2

    ReplyDelete