Friday, May 4, 2012

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Normally, I really hate to read historical books, especially biographies. They all seem to present facts in a really boring way that just keeps going on. When Steve Jobs came out, I knew immediately that I had to buy it. Whether I liked it was another story, though. I had extremely low expectations when I bought it and labelled it the same way I do for all other history books. I went in thinking I would drop it in a day after being bored so much. To my surprise, this was the first one I actually liked. It gave an insightful look into the life of one of the world's most secretive people. Everything from early childhood to resignation from Apple is covered in detail. And since this is an official biography, the author is able to provide facts that no-one else has known before. But the thing I think really drew me towards this was the fact that this wasn't just some guy that we keep hearing about in history; we experienced his life firsthand and had the opportunity to live at least during part of his life. While reading this book, you will read a fact that reveals what was going on behind the scenes that really causes everything to finally make sense. Certain product designs, naming, and just the overall appearance of his products are all chosen for a reason and the story behind it all is finally written down in this book. This is a good book if you are in the mood for something slow and intellectual. It will take you a little bit to read mainly because there is just so many facts on one page. Overall, if you have ever seen, enjoyed, or just heard about any of Apple's products, this book is a must read. Plus, a movie is even coming out next year based on the book! ~Ross Freeman   Period 7/8

14 comments:

  1. This book seems really intriguing! Like you, I kind of hate historical books, but since this one really relates to my daily life, I think I'll give it a try. I like how it will talk about the Apple products and his influence on them.
    Angela B.Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be nice to have an more in-depth view on Steve Jobbs.
    Isaac Chang per12

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot about this book, but have not read it yet. Most people come into contact or observe and apple product be used and it's great to see the history of steve jobs and his struggles in creating and shaping apple to what it has become today

    Prasad Patwardhan(Period 4)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would expect you to read a book like that, Ross. Anyway, I am a fan of Apple products and even though I, like you, have a dislike towards history books, plan to read it one day because of how you made it seem.

    David Arida ~ Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you i dint like history books either but this one sounds interesting in a way.
    Youliana pr.2

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally wouldn't want to read this book for a couple reasons. First of all, it does seem way too informative even though you said it was much more interesting than any other history book. Also, I had read an article about Steve Jobbs that really bashed on him after his death. It stated all these things about how he did not provide for his family and let his money go to waste. However, I would like to see how things were in his point of view.

    -Esther Youn, Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther: May I ask where you read this article? While I have heard he did some strange things towards his family in the past, such as his treatment towards Lisa. I have never once heard that he treated his family poorly. In fact, Steve said the book was written for his family to understand why he did what he did. The printed copy also includes a small section of family photos, of which him and his children seem very happy. I know for a fact that he brought all of them on a vacation with just the two of them. As for the money, I honestly don't know much about it, but I honestly doubt he wasted it. He only had a $1 salary per year at Apple, so most of his money came form elsewhere. It is my understanding that he did a ton of private charity, but people don't know about it due to the fact it was private. I really can't see how it would've gone to waste considering he lives in a house that is probably smaller then he could afford and because he wanted to leave most of it for his children and the well being for Apple. Also, Steve did not write the book and didn't even read it. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the review. This is the authorized biography because it was created with facts confirmed to be true through interviews with him and his colleagues. He had absolutely nothing to do with the actual writing of the book, which is why certain parts of it may portray him as mean guy. In all honesty, I really think you should read this book, even if you don't go through the entire thing. It may not be as interesting for all, but I would recommend skimming through the chapters just to get a feel for who he truly was.
    -Ross Freeman Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Ross, books like these are usually boring, but this one does seem more interesting. I thought this book was just about his life, but if everything that he was thinking (like about how to design his stuff) is explained, this biography sounds like a really interesting book to read. Maybe it could even spark imaginations all over the world and we'll have another genius making cool stuff. For this reason, i think I'm gonna borrow the book from you and read it myself.
    - Jake Syetta (period 2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we will have another genius. For all we know, it can be any one of us. Also, I guess we established that you're going to borrow my book :)

      -Ross Freeman Period 7/8

      Delete
  9. This really looks like a book that you would read, seeing that you love Apple products.

    -Conor McCann Period 12

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds interesting because I never knew the story behind Steve Jobs. I always wanted to know how he invented his amazing apple products.
    -Matthew Sweet
    Per. 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seems like a really interesting biography. Jobs had an interesting way of life that molded him into the successful figure that he was. This book seems to go into depth into his interesting practices.

    Matt Fein Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find biographies a pain! And though this book does sound interesting, I don't think I would read it. I'm not a fan of Steve Jobs as a person because I had read somewhere that Jobs doesn't deserve the credit he does, as he was petulant and took credit for many others work. Keeping that in mind, reading about "his" accomplishments and success wouldn't really appeal to me.

    Sairah Varughese (Period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Biographies were always interesting to me and this one seems especially good. I always wanted to know more about Steve Jobs and this is my chance.
    -Matt G.

    ReplyDelete