Monday, May 14, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

"The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green is wonderefully written novel that takes the reader on an emotional rollercoaster. Hazel is a sixteen year old girl with thyroid cancer. She had a very near-death experience years ago from the cancer, and still has the cancer, but it isn't getting worse. At her cancer kids support group, she meets seventeen year old Augustus Waters, the sexiest, most attractive, greatest boy she's seen. Needless to say, she falls in love with him, and they form a friendship. The rest of the book explores their journies and bonding to gether. John Green knows how to convey emotions very well in a book. One chapter you'll be snorting with laughter, the next bawling your eyes out. Yes, this book is depressing. But, it is also witty, hilarious, entertaining, and most importantly, eye-opening. It's filled with memorable quotes about what it really means to live, with or without cancer. If you want to read an emotional, wonderfully written book, then "The Fault In Our Stars" is for you.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinites."
"That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt."
"We're as likely to hurt the universe as we are to help it, and we're not likely to do either."

Angela Bersani Period 4                          

14 comments:

  1. I like how most of John Green's novels have this input of an emotional roller coaster. It's very interesting to see how your feelings alter throughout the coarse of the book. Check out Looking for Alaska. It's another one of his great pieces and one of my personal favorites!
    Asfa Arshi p.3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plot of this story sounds very interesting. I like how you noted that the emotions are very different throughout a book, as that is what makes a great book. Although there is the cliche love element, I also am pleased with the idea that a real-life struggle, like cancer and other diseases, are taken to fiction. I believe Wendy Mass did that with "A Mango-Shaped Space". Anyway, I will try to read it someday.

    David Arida ~ Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the whole idea of alove elment is cliched, I feel like John Green made it so it was somewhat predictable. However, since the characters are so unique, this love really stands out from other books with mushy, repetitive love plotlines.
      Angela B. Period 4

      Delete
  3. This book sounds like a book I would totally enjoy! It seems very sad and romantic. The quotes are also great and are very true.
    Merna Kamel P.12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I usually love John Green, and I once started this book in a bookstore, left, and somehow forgot about it. Now I have to go find it...
    Btw, my person JG favorites are 'Looking for Alaska' (duh) and 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' (which was co-written by some other dude who isn't as good, but oh well), if you want more books like this
    -Hallel Y., pd 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is really good, it has a little bit of everything. I would definetly recomend this book to others. Jackie M. period 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read this so bad! It seems so good and the plot seems like something I would read. Although i never read any books by John Green but I think I might start reading some of his books :)
    ~Samantha Lobasso period 12

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like this book would definitely be one of those that change your perspective on life. It sounds really interesting and I remember Ms. Maffa talking about it in class! - Tiffany Fong period 4

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sound so sad, but like an amazing book. I can't wait to read it.On top of that, This book reminds me of My Sister's Keeper. ~Mary Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great book. I've read a few of John Green's book and he is a great author. - Danielle Keating; Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so much positive feedback on this book. So I've decided that this will be the next new book i read. Kristen D. per.12

    ReplyDelete
  11. THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER. EVERYBODY READING THIS SHOULD GO READ IT NOW. JOHN GREEN IS A GENIUS. Also, DFTBA.
    -Emily P.
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this book so much! John Green has become one of my favorite authors recently. I was constantly going back and forth between laughing and crying. You should definitely check out Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns by John Green if you haven't already! Kristen Connolly (period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks interesting. I've seen the book in class and in the library. I'm adding this book to my summer reading list. It's going to be one of my top five books to read

    ReplyDelete