Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This year I was fortunate enough to buy the book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Luckily, it was a good read, but it also gave me information and facts about the discrimination African Americans faced during this time period. It takes place in the early 1960s and during this time African Americans struggled to get back on their feet, and gain the equality they deserved. The main character, Skeeter, decides to write a book from African American women's point of view. This book is about the challenges of getting the book published; most importantly, breaking down the barriers of white and black women. Skeeter must gain the trust of these women in order for the book to be a success, and that is her biggest challenge of all. If you are interested in history, or just this time period in general, I suggest you borrow this book from the library. It makes you more knowledgeable on events that really happened during the African American movement, and you won't be able to put it down. I look forward to reading more books by Kathryn Stockett in my future high school years. ~ Sarah McCaffrey period 2

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting. I watched the movie this year and was truly inspired by it. I really liked how it informs the reader of such events. This book reminds me of The Secret Life of Bees due to their very similar story lines. I am definitely interested and looking forward to reading this book. -Iman D.(Per. 3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discrimination is a pretty heavy and nasty topic but i love books where peoplew break out of the shackles plkaced on them by society and make a new life for themselves. Those kind of empowering books inspire me, so I may read this book even though I'm not a big history buff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the movie was great and really funny. The story line for the book seems really interesting and like the kind of books I read. Hopefully I can get a hold of this book and actually get to read it myself over the summer. -Maddy Datkowitz pd 2

    ReplyDelete