Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Katniss Everdeen is a symbol of an upcoming rising in the Capitol. This had all started in the first book of the trilogy, The Hunger Games. Catching Fire, the second book is all about another game Katniss is thrown into again to fight for her life. In the first book, Katniss was one of the 24 tributes that were chosen to compete in an annual game called the Hunger Games. The purpose of this is to remind the country who is in charge and the devastation the Capitol brought unto District 13 which is now a dead district. In the first book, Katniss fights to the end but there is a twist to her victory which results in a revolution. In Catching Fire, it is time for a Quarter Quell. A Quarter Quell is another Hunger Game, but it happens every 15 years. At each Quarter Quell there is an extra something added to make the games much more interesting. For example, one time they had doubled the amount of tributes. This time, previous victors are chosen once again to compete in the games. Katniss is the only girl victor alive therefore meaning she has no choice but to go back into the games even though she had just exited the horror. In the game during Catching Fire, alliances are quickly formed and many strategies are used. The arena is also formatted very unusually but you will have to read it to find out what it is. Together, Katniss figures about all the secrets that were kept from there that may lead to another disruption to the Capitol. ~Esther Y. (per. 4)

10 comments:

  1. This book kind of angered me at the beginning when they had to go back into the arena. It is completely unfair that the had to go back into the arena! But still, the entire story was really intriguing and I loved the ending. It had a really good set up for the final book and it forced me to finish up the series.
    -Ross Freeman Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with Ross on how it irritates me on forcing Katniss to fight for her life. Althought, I am curious in what challenges were thrown at Katniss and what kind of alliances were formed. Now, I am interested in seeing what does happen and what this book will lead too.
    -Vincent C. Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book so much, I love it how not only did Katniss and Peeta enter the arena they came out as "victors" also. Defiantly a great read for anyone that loves action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly, this was an amazing read. I'd prefer the 1st or 3rd book of the series however as there was not much action until the very end. i'd recommend it to anyone who likes the action drama. a bit of romance is mixed in there too making it a great book. don't just jump in though, you have to start at the first book.

    -Frankie Wai p7/8

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of people had told me good things about the "Hunger Games" series. I have read the first book, but I just could not finish this book. I just couldn't get over the fact that how Katniss had to "be" in love with Peeta in order for her and her familey to survie an how corny that was. Maybe this book will be like someone else's favorite book of all time, but I just couldn't continue the Hunger Games series after the actual Hunger Games had ended
    -Minhyuk K. (Per. 4)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first book in the series, but I never got into it enough to read the second one. I think that I may read it now after reading your summary of it because it seems to be a better story than I thought it was.

    Matt Fein Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the first book but I'm reluctant to read the second book because I thought it wouldn't be so action packed. However, after reading the summary I have renewed interest in the series and will read catching fire.
    Dhiraj Peddu(Period 4)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Ross. Katniss and Peeta shouldn't have had to go back into the arena. Out of all three books, most people say that they don't like Catching Fire or Mockingjay as much. Which one is your favorite? --Monica Srivastava Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I finished the Hunger Games, I was forced into reading book #2 because its prequel was so good. This was my favorite of the three books. Definitely a great book to read!
    -Suchir K. (period 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book is personally my favorite out of the others in the trilogy. There are so many surprises that come out, as it is really suspenseful and interesting to know what happens next, which is why this is my favorite. Action is also part of the reason why I love this book. I can tell that the movie version will be great, too. Nick O. Per. 2

    ReplyDelete