Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hoops by Walter Dean Myers

Hoops by Walter Dean Myers was a fantastic book that was very unpredictable. The book is told in first person from the point of view of the main character, Lonnie Jackson. Lonnie is a seventeen-year-old kid who lives in New York City. He doesn’t go to high school, but his mom still wants him to go to college. The one thing that Lonnie is good at is basketball. However, he is too cocky and stubborn to go anywhere with his skills. One day, he meets a man named Pops who claims to know a lot about basketball, and offers to help Lonnie work on his game. At first, Lonnie is not impressed, but eventually he decides to give him a chance. Soon, Lonnie and Pops develop a strong bond, and Lonnie’s game benefits. This is a great book for sports fans, but you have to give it time to get into the main plot of the story. Walter Dean Myers wrote a great story about friendship and basketball with Hoops.
Jordan G. Period 7/8                          

7 comments:

  1. I read this book a few years back and also thought it was very good. The plot was so realistic and I almost felt like I was there with Lonnie and Pops. I can't compare to Lonnie too much because I do go to school but I can when it comes to sports. Lonnie has to work hard and try his hardest to be the best he can be.
    -Matt B. (Period 7/8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both started reading this book the same day, and for me it only lasted that one day. I didn't give it time like you said, which is why I had to quit. I'm sure it was a great sports story, plus its by Walter Dean Myers who is a great author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i play basketball so i am going to read it. It sounds like a book i would like.

    John McHenry Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book when I was in seventh grade. I don't remember much of the plot line but your review rekindled my interest. I would consider to read it again
    -Eric "the main event" Canonaco

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoops sounds like a really good book. I like how the author creates a seemingly good sports story in a novel form. I have read Walter Dean Myers before and I have really enjoyed his books. I am going to read this book.

    Matt Fein Period 7/8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walter Deam Myers is a great author; his books are so realistic. I read one of Walter Dean Myers' books called Kick, which he took turns writing it with one of his fans. He is a great author, and he really knows how to connect with his readers. I am definently going to try reading this book, especially since it is about basketball. - Adrian Bermudez (Period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it really interesting mainly because it sounds like a true life story. i am a sports fan and sense you recommended it to sports fan i would really consider reading this over the summer.
    Joshua Barkoff (Period 2)

    ReplyDelete