Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

 Of the many mysteries I've read, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is definitely one of the top of my list. It is a compelling story in which two very unlike characters team up to solve the ultimate crime. Mikael Blomkvist, the editor of Millenium, is convicted of a criminal charge. In order to escape it, he reluctantly accepts the Harriet Vanger case propsed by his great-uncle Henrik Vanger.
     Harriet Vanger has disappeared for nearly thirty six years. However, her beloved great-uncle still recieves the eeire pressed flowers each year on his birthday, a tradition that is maintained. Determined to find out who caused the demise of Harriet, he offers Blomkvist a handsome sum of his money and the secret to elliminating his charges. Soon, Blomkvist meets Lisbeth Salander, a socially challenged and pierced woman with exceptional talents in problem-solving and computer hacking. Posing as a "trapped island mystery", their case seems nearly insolvable. These two remarkable minds are forced to dive into an ugly family past of the Vangers and ultimately solve the crime before it's too late...
~Vivien C. (per. 4)

9 comments:

  1. Mariah Caise Period: 3May 19, 2012 at 6:45 AM

    WOAH! this book is so suspenseful. I can't believe that Blomkvist goes on this nearly impossible mission to find Harriet Vanger along with Lisbeth. It's kind of suspicious and weird that Henrik Vanger receives the flowers from Harriet every year on his birthday. Was Lisbeth always socially challenged?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her background & childhood goes more into detail in the second book "The Girl Who Played With Fire". From it, the readers can conclude that she's not really socially challenged, but she has an extreme sense of justice. For example, in her "mental hospital" that she was sent to she spoke a lot to the nurses and custodians, but refused to talk to therapists and doctors because those with higher authority wouldn't listen to her, thinking she was mentally disabled.

      ~ Vivien C. (per. 4)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really suspenseful. I mean who would keep sending someone flowers every year on her great Uncle's death anniversary. I really want to know how the mission is so impossible and what they uncover doing it. Where did Lisbeth learn the skills she knows now?


    Ansuman DAs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was concluded by Blomkvist to have Asperger syndrome, which is basically characterized by difficulty in social interactions and extreme interests (for Lisbeth, it'd be in high levels of math). She is discovered to have photographic memory and catches onto things really fast, which help her in learning the skills she has.

      ~ Vivien C. (per. 4)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy mystery books that have to do with crime...it keeps me interested in finding more. this sounds very good! it sounds very suspenful, i wonder what will happen in the end.

    Youliana Pr.2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to see this movie so I think I'll give the book a try first. It sounds really captivating,like a book I wouldn't want to put down. Mary period2

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds really good. I really like mysteries and i heard about this one but never really got around to it. I like characters that are a little strange like lisbeth because you get to see things from another point of view.
    -Valerie G. p.7/8

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about this book and as well as the movie many times, however I never gotten around to reading it. I heard it's super mysterious, suspenseful and exciting and I can't wait to check it out.
    Jason Wang - Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a very interesting book, with all the mysteries and how Blomkvist would attempt to release his charges. I haven't read a lot of mystery books recently, but this sounds like a book I might read over the summer. I've also heard that people prefer the book over the movie BIG TIME, and I hope they're right! Nick O. Per. 2

    ReplyDelete