Friday, April 27, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

In this society, everyone dedicates their life to the refinement of one virtue of a specific faction at age 16. Beatrice is given the choice of staying with her family but feeling unsettled about her decision, or being true to herself and joining another faction. While deciding between the two, a rare but life-changing factor is discovered that she doesn’t quite understand herself. Still, she tries to hide her secret at her chosen faction while redefining herself as Tris and surviving the grueling initiation of psychological and physical tests of endurance that break people down, kill them, or leave them forever altered. As the story progresses, secrets are uncovered, loyalties are questioned, and chaos erupts but Beatrice/Tris' inner strength pulls her through and makes her a wonderful heroine. I would recommend this to anyone in our grade because it’s an enthralling, unpredictable thriller that calls into question our virtues, our priorities, and what kind of person we truly are. ~Chynelle M, Period 7/8

8 comments:

  1. I read this book and found it to be quite intruiging. The idea of choosing your life's path at a young age resonates even in our Earth. Should we do what we love or do something practical? Should we listen to our family or listen to our hearts? We ALL have to make these decisions. I just wish the book had an actual ending!
    ~Emily Polinski (Period 3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read another book like this and it was really fun to read
    Robert Hernandez
    period 12

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a few months ago and I thought it was really good! I couldn't put it down. If you liked the Hunger Games then you will like this. I cant' wait for the second book to come out! It's called Insurgent and it comes out tomorrow on May 1st! Jackie M. Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell in love with this book when I read it at Ms. Maffa's reccomendation. I loved the character's progression. It really makes the reader think about how sometimes, a choice is subconciously affected by a person's background and upbringing. It also showed how the actions we take determine our personality.
    Angela B. Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book a few days ago and loved it! The character development and progression were great, especially Tris' character. Actions, decisions we make, and background really do determine who we are.
    Samantha Lobasso period 12

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dieing to read this book/series.. the book sounds incredibly interesting/exciting. Apparently it is similar to The Hunger Games too, which is a benefit. - Danielle Keating; Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book and really liked it! The beginning is a little boring but once things get started you won't be able to put it down. I really like the characters and will definitely read the sequel!
    -Valerie G. P.7/8

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems like a really interesting series. A lot of my friends have recommended it to me, but I've never really gotten the chance to read it. I loved the Hunger Games, and people said that it is very similar to that. When I finally pick it up, I don't think I will be disappointed.

    -Priya Bhave (4)

    ReplyDelete